Platinum Hearing Aids is proud to be your choice when you’re looking for hearing tests in Allen Park, Southfield, Detroit, and Dearborn, MI. As your trusted Dearborn audiologist, we also specialize in hearing aids and comprehensive audiology care to make sure that your hearing maintains full functionality. There are a number of reasons that a person can experience hearing loss or hearing problems; one such example is through a buildup of earwax, leading to a blockage.
What Causes Earwax Buildup and Blockage?Earwax buildup and blockage occurs when earwax is pushed deep inside the ear canal and fills the width of it. Some of the causes for this include the following:
- The usage of Q-tips or other related items to remove earwax blockages can sometimes create this problem. While these are meant to remove earwax, sometimes they can just push the earwax in deeper and cause a blockage.
- Wearing earbud headphones can trap earwax and prevent it from falling out properly.
- Genetics also plays a factor as some families produce more earwax, leading to a higher probability of developing earwax blockage.
- Earwax buildup can also occur when there’s more pollen or dust in the air that gets into your ear canals. This can lead to your ear producing more earwax.
Signs of Earwax Buildup and BlockageSome of the signs that you may have earwax buildup and blockage are:
- Tinnitus (ringing in your ear)
- Temporary hearing loss
- Fullness in your ear
- Odd-colored earwax
Treating Earwax Buildup and BlockageEarwax buildup can be treated through a number of different ways. These include:
- A curette (a small plastic spoon or curved instrument)
- Ear irrigation using warm water, saline, or hydrogen peroxide
- Over-the-counter earwax softening drops